Unlock Bootloader (Read-only)

Seeing an Error Message when trying to unlock my LGUS996
DBaldock9
I purchased an LG V20 (LGUS996), so that I could Unlock the Bootloader, but I'm having difficulties doing so.
Under the battery, LG-US996 is shown as the Model Number, which is on the list of phones that is supported for Bootloader Unlocking.
When I enter the IMEI and Device ID, an Error Message is displayed, instead of the LG site emailing me the unlock.bin file.
The message is, "Unfortunately, your device(United States, (BRIGHTPOINT(USA)) )does not support unlocking the bootloader."
What additional things do I need to do, to unlock the bootloader on my LG V20 (LGUS996) phone?
Thank you,
David Baldock
Posted on 28-Apr-2018
narae0.kim

Re:Seeing an Error Message when trying to unlock my LGUS996

Hello,

In accordance with LG's policy, you can only unlock bootloader for the supported devices.

As you can see, in case of the US996, only one particular model, US996.USA, is supported.
US996.BPT does not support bootloader unlocking.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If there are any changes to the supported devices, we will let you know via our website.

Thank you.

Posted on 30-Apr-2018
Dongeroni

How can you tell the difference between US996.USA and US996.BPT?

Posted on 7-Jun-2018
narae0.kim

Hello,

It depends on the LG policy in each region.

We notify the supported devices via our website and provide a way to unlock, but are not involved with the policy.

We are sorry that we can't be of much help.

Thank you.

Posted on 11-Jun-2018
o3enzyme

So because the LG Developer website determined that his device was "(United States, (BRIGHTPOINT(USA))" that means that it's technically not a US996 codename model? or is that a sub-model of the US996? I don't understand what is the problem, but I want to understand because a similar problem happened to me.

Please reply with a more thorough explanation.

Posted on 12-Jun-2018
Navigation