General (Read-only)

Bug in implementation of ACTION_NOTIFICATION_POLICY_ACCESS_SETTINGS
thubalek
I hava multiple reports from users of LG phones that android.ui.settings crashes when I execute this code:

NotificationManager mNotificationManager = (NotificationManager) getActivity().getSystemService(Context.NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);

// Check if the notification policy access has been granted for the app.
if (!mNotificationManager.isNotificationPolicyAccessGranted()) {
Intent intent = new Intent(android.provider.Settings.ACTION_NOTIFICATION_POLICY_ACCESS_SETTINGS);
startActivity(intent);
}

It is bug in implementatin of Android on some LG phones. Where to report it?
Posted on 10-Feb-2017
changbae

Re:Bug in implementation of ACTION_NOTIFICATION_POLICY_ACCESS_SETTINGS

I have one question.
All phones of LG have same problem?!

If you inform us about your device information, we can handle them more fluently.

Posted on 16-Feb-2017
thubalek

It regards only devices with Android 6 (SDK 23) and newer. It looks like there is a bug in your implementation of Android settings. I don't own LG phone but users reported that it crashes in process com.android.settings

Also related links - https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=233737

You can contact me directly by email (android.dev.tom@gmail.com) if you need more details or cooperation.

This bug makes my app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hubalek.android.apps.soundoff) non working on LG phones and I have no way how to workaround it.

Please fix it ASAP.

Posted on 16-Feb-2017
changbae

for ASAP, we need "real" device serial number.
We are working on the firm environment.

and.. unfortunately some one did see working well... - maybe... he repied your question...
I have a LG Nexus 5x running android 7.1.1 and this works. Thanks! – Andrew Irwin 3 hours ago
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31862753/android-how-to-turn-on-do-not-disturb-dnd-programmatically

Posted on 17-Feb-2017
thubalek

LG Nexus 5x is LG only by hardware. It has pure Android where it works well.

The problem was reported on "LG G4, I have no more details about that phone" and "LG flex 2 with Android 6.0.1" where you implemented some extensions of Android.

I attached screenshot.

Let me know if you need more info for indentification of the bug. I can contact my users if necessary.

Posted on 17-Feb-2017
thubalek

Here is more info about LG G4 where the bug is presented:

Android version: 6
Kernel version: 3.10.84
Build number: MRA58K
Software version: V20g-EUR-XX

I also attached screenshot

Posted on 17-Feb-2017
Yoav_S

Possible workaround:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31862753/android-how-to-turn-on-do-not-disturb-dnd-programmatically/

Posted on 8-Mar-2017
thubalek

Thanks for tip. I see major concern regarding privacy. If I'll ask for this permission people may be worried that my app is spying their notifications (that may contain very sensitive info).

I would prefer LG to fix this ASAP as it is MAJOR issue, it makes part of Android not working.

Posted on 8-Mar-2017
nickdev

I agree with Thubalek, my users will be concerned with privacy. So at this point, I am going to check to see if the manufacturer is LG, and then not prompt for this permission, and limit our app's functionality for LG users.

Can anyone confirm if this is fixed in Android 7.0 or on some model phones?

Posted on 28-Dec-2017
flames

I have the same problem. Is there any solution to this bug?? Because I have to limit this functionality for LG users.

Posted on 22-Mar-2018
flames

I attach the error log

Posted on 22-Mar-2018
Navigation